Saturday, January 8, 2011

Today was a busy day here in Korea, it started with an English lesson at Violet's house with Violet, Eric and Eugene. They are all so smart! Today we learned about helping verbs. Eric walked me to the building where he takes art classes, the son of his art teacher wants English lessons so I went to set up a time that we could study. He was really nice but he was so confused as to why I didn't want coffee or tea. He later told me that it is customary when someone comes over that you give them coffee or tea and cookies and it helps them to know that you are comfortable. so I guess he thought it was awkward. He got over it, he was a nice guy. Later the family and I went on the subway to find the church that I will go to. It is really close. A short walk then 2 stops on the train and another short walk. When we got to the church we ran into some American Missionaries, one was from Montana and the other was from Colorado maybe? I think Colorado. They were playing ping-pong in the church with an investigator. there were also four other Korean ladies there. They were so nice, one kept feeding me popcorn and pine nuts. I knew they were all talking about me because they would talk and point. Sometimes Jae Eun would translate but sometimes I just had to smile and nod. I have no idea what is going on when they speak Korean. luckily the missionaries speak English and they told me that there is a lady in the ward that speaks fluent English. The lady that kept feeding us has a daughter and son that live in Provo they go to BYU and are taking an English course. I think they will be back on Thursday, she wants her daughter and I to be friends and she wanted to know how I was doing with the food. Everyone is so concerned about what I am eating and if I like it. After we found the church we went and ate Chinese food at China Factory. It was a pretty cool place. I had dim sum Jae Eun just told me that they use to throw offerings to the sea in China and sometimes they would throw heads into the sea, one day people got smart and they used dim sum, they would use pork and meat and fill a bag to make it look like a head and throw that to the sea instead. So i guess I ate a tiny fake head. I liked a couple of them but one was aweful! We also had some smoked duck that you wrap in a tortilla with peppers and some sweet sauce. It was like a duck fajita, it was so good! We also had some shrimp noodle soup that you put on a plate and eat with chop sticks. . it was difficult and I guess Eun Young (Jae Eun's Husband) didn't like watching me struggle so he got me a fork, I was determined to use the stupid chopsticks! After dinner we walked home Jae Eun thought it would be a good idea because we had eaten so many calories, she was probably right. Oh earlier today before I went to teach I made scrambled eggs for breakfast. Minseo thought it was delicious :) and for lunch Jae Eun made soy sauce pork. Don't worry dad, I tried it!

No comments:

Post a Comment