Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday and Soondai!

Today was my first adventure in Korea all by myself. I had to figure out how to get back to the church I got to yesterday! It was intense! When I got to the subway my card didn't work, I had to call Jae Eun who had me hand the phone to any one I could see. The first person I tried to ask for help just shook his head and hands at me, so I moved on to some random group of kids who probably thought I was crazy, he talked to Jae Eun for about 3 min then handed me the phone Jae Eun then told me that he was going to take me to the station manager to get my card fixed. I followed the kid to the station manager and he tried to fix the card but it still didn't work. Finally we got it working and I was on my way. When I got to church a lady introduced herself and helped me through the lesson in Relief Society, in Sunday School a cute old man that has an American daughter-in-law asked if he could translate the lesson. He did a pretty good job but was more interested in finding out about me than translating for me. In Sacrament an American who is married to a Korean woman who grew up in Maine, anyway, they have lived in America for ten years and now they have been here for about 6 months. He translated the meeting for me and talked to me after for a while they are really nice. Everyone here is so concerned about what I am eating! Today i tried three new things, I tried soondae which is pretty much noodles that the wrap up in the same stuff they wrap sausage in. It was NOT good. I also tried dakboki haha. It is like a rice cake, they make them in all different styles the one we had today was hot, and it had a spicy sauce on it and had the same texture as jello. also NOT good :) they sell the kind we had today at carts on the street like hotdog vendors in New York. Then for dinner we had spicy pork and rice. That was good I liked it. I took Eric and Minseo to Baskin Robins today for ice cream and we also went on a freezing cold walk in  18 degree and windy humid weather to find an apartment building where I will be teaching tomorrow. It was so cold that we didn't even get all the way there and we got a taxi back home.

1 comment:

  1. By the end of this trip, you are SO going to appreciate your dad's food! I'll bet you'll never again be picky about anything he makes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete