Saturday, January 15, 2011
Misplaced
Yesterday Esther, Stella and Daniels mom, took Jae Eun the kids and I out to dinner. We went to Outback Steak house and ordered family style so I got to try a ton of new stuff instead of the usual Victoria's Fillet. Other than that yesterday was really quite uneventful. Today however was not. It started out at the National Museum of Contemporary Art, it was quite a drive and its set back in the mountains it was really cool and there was a lot of really neat art. The best part was there was no gift shop so I couldn't even spend any money! On our way home we stopped at Costco again, I guess we really like cheese and tacos, oh and ice cream of course! After Costco Jae Eun and I went on an adventure to the Hyundai Department Store, its like the Neiman Marcus of Korea it was somewhere around 12 stories and it had 5 basements, soo it was huge! One day when I have lots of time I am going to spend the day there. We went to see if we could find powdered sugar and vanilla because not even Costco could supply us with the things we need to bake. Who would have thought it would be so hard to find common baking goods! I guess Koreans don't bake! The powdered sugar I did end up finding only has about half a cup per bag! so I had to buy quite a few. Jae Eun need to get back home so I told her to go and that I could find my way back on the subway by myself. So after she left I did a little exploring and went to a store next door to see if they had baking goods. Well they did, kinda. Like I said the powered sugar was about the same amount per bag that you sprinkle on top of a bunt cake. And vanilla extract, YEAH RIGHT! I'm stuck with vanilla powder. Wish me luck with my baking class on Monday, I have a feeling its not going to quite turn out how I'd like it to. Anyway, after I somewhat found the things I needed and Jae Eun had left I went back to the Hyundai Department Store and had dinner. Trust me when I say trying to order food in Korea when you don't know a lick of Korean is hard! I got a pretzel because how can you mess up a pretzel, that's right, you can't cinnamon sugar amazingness! The woman behind the counter said something to me and I just kinda nodded and pointed to the one I wanted and handed her my credit card, she smiled and I walked away. That wasn't too bad I thought so I moved on to something a little more complicated, a sandwich. Which if you know anything about me I eat my sandwiches pretty much plain, turkey, cheese, olives, and on occasion oil and vinegar. Lucky for me The 'Best Turkey Sandwich' place was out of turkey so I had to settle for a Philadelphian so I pointed to the menu then pointed to the sandwich on display and pointed to the tomato and said no, the lettuce said no, pickles, no. Finally the cute ladies realized what I was trying to tell them and I ended up with just what I wanted, Yummy cheese, green peppers and garlic steak. It was fantastic, but it would have been even better with a rootbeer which I don't think I'm going to see again for 80 some odd days. I made it back to the subway just fine which wasn't a real problem since the subway station is connected to the department store, the problem was after I had gotten on the train. Jae Eun had told me something about how the number 5 train had two trains on the same track but the track split, and to make sure that I got onto the right train. Well I thought I was on the right train, the sign outside said that I was going to the next station which was on the way to Dunchon Dong, turns out that is where the track splits and I was on the wrong train! So I just got off at the next stop got on the train going the other direction, got off at the following stop and waited for the train that was going the right direction on the track that splits! Jae Eun was so worried about me I think she called me five times in ten minutes. I wasn't worried I knew exactly where I was and where I was going, I just made a simple mistake, not knowing the language will do that to a person! But her sweet worried little self picked me up right outside of the subway station by her house so I didn't have to walk home. Which was so nice since it is only 5 degrees here! And I had the worlds worst headache! So you see, I only misplaced myself for a moment and I didn't know I was lost.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh Brianne! You are so adventurous!! Sounds amazing! I wake up every morning excited to read about your adventures. Keep writing. Miss and Love you TONS!!
ReplyDeleteMOM